We know how hard the time is when you suffer from injuries due to someone’s negligence. At that time, going through all the legal processes also seems like extra pressure, and that’s why you need professional support to ease your concern.
However, due to distrust or, in an unfortunate case, the death or disbarment of your current lawyer, you may want to get a new lawyer to represent you. So, when you are about to do that, there are a few things to consider before changing personal injury lawyer in Red Deer.
Let’s learn about them in detail.
Table of Contents
Why Do People Want to Change Their Personal Injury Lawyer?
Besides deaths or other unfortunate events, there are several reasons that cause people to be unhappy with their attorney. Here are some causes that might trigger you to change your lawyers.
- The lawyer is hard to reach. You can’t meet them in person and don’t get back to your email or calls.
- They don’t even try to explain the legal procedure to you.
- There is no progress in the case, and the lawyers don’t seem to have any proper strategy.
- You don’t like the way your lawyer handles the case.
- Your lawyer comes up with a strategy that you think is not perfect.
- You are forced to do a settlement by them that you are not happy with.
- For some reason, you can’t trust your lawyer or have a bad feeling about them.
Can You Switch Personal Injury Lawyers?
Yes, you can switch personal injury lawyers at any stage of your case. You have the full right to choose your representatives in court. So, if you think you need to change your lawyer and hire a new one, you can do it. However, there are some limitations that you have to maintain.
After going through the next points, you will get a clear concept.
Steps to Switch Your Lawyer
If you think you find the best personal Injury Lawyer in Red Deer, there is nothing wrong that you wanting them to represent you in court. And you can do it at any stage of your case by following a few simple steps.
- Step 1: First, you should contact your new lawyer before starting the process to get the court’s permission. After being confirmed, remove your current lawyer from their position.
- Step 2: Sign a retainer agreement to give your new lawyer the authority to represent you.
- Step 3: In this stage, your new lawyer will prepare legal documents to tell the court and every party involving the case about the switching. They will also prepare a legal letter and send it to your previous lawyer to officially tell them to stop working for you and forward the case file to the current lawyer.
Reasons That Might Stop You from Switching Lawyers in the Middle of a Case
Well, you can switch at any time. But there are some concerns that you have to think about. If the switching process delays the progress of your case, the court might not allow you to change your lawyer. This law is introduced to prevent people who purposely change their lawyers to prolong the case.
So, when you are up to change your lawyer, it’s essential to secure a new person right away. It’s also better to switch as early as possible.
On the other hand, the court might decline your switching request if the lawyer you want to work with possesses conflict issues.
Things You Should Do Before Switching an Injury Lawyer in Red Deer
When you decide to change your lawyer, you have to find a new one. And when you are about to do it, you should do the following.
- Visit the lawyer personally at their office. It will give you a primary idea about how successful the lawyer is.
- Check out whether they handled cases like yours before and go through the track record.
- Ask them about their opinion about your settlement and how long it will take to get the verdict.
- Check out the reviews or testimonials from the website.
Here are a few questions that might come to your mind.
When to hire a personal injury lawyer?
If you become injured in an accident that happens because of the wrongdoing or negligence of someone, you should hire a personal injury lawyer. They help you to get compensation for your damage and make sure you get the amount you deserve.
How much does a personal injury lawyer cost?
Personal injury lawyers usually get paid through contingency fee arrangements, and it depends on the outcome of the case. The fees typically range from 25 to 33 percent of the compensation you receive from the accused.
If your case doesn’t get a positive outcome, the lawyer doesn’t ask for any fees.
What is the standard fee for personal injury lawyer?
The standard fee for a personal injury lawyer is usually around 33% of the compensation amount. Depending on the situation, they can also ask for more or less.
Why you need a personal injury lawyer?
When you are fighting for your rights, putting someone knowledgeable on your side can lessen your anxiety. You can complete many steps easily with their professional assistance. And that’s why you need a personal injury lawyer in your most vulnerable time.
How much percentage does a personal injury lawyer get?
A personal injury lawyer usually gets around 33% of the settlement money. Depending on the case and the outcome, the amount varies.
These are the things to consider before changing personal injury lawyer in Red Deer. Remember, as a victim, you have the full right to ensure a fair trial. And during the process, if you feel something unusual with your current lawyer, you can change them without any hesitation.
After all, it’s your case, and you have all the controls.